Tuesday, May 16, 2006


Beautiful Day


Thanks to everyone who commented on my last entry. You guys inspire me, I so enjoy reading your blogs.
Last week, I visited my parents and my dog in their little piece of paradise in the Carribbean where they moved when my parents decided that they were tropical people and the harsh winters of Wisconsin would no longer cut it.

I started off reluctant to visit, since I had just come off a long semester of work and school and I was really looking forward to throwing myself a pity party and wallowing with my two best pals Ben & Jerry. As it turns out, the week was healing and proof that you really can go home.

Nothing can prepare you for the feel of the sea against your skin. When I'm away from the island I always try to remember what it feels like, but the instant the water touches you it's like heaven. The smooth sand under your feet soothing, the sun is against your face and the smell is of salt and sea and home...Ahhhh.......

I suppose what I took away from this week is that I'm missing the flavor of the day- it's smell, it's taste. While it can get lost in the everyday errands and duties that we all have to live with, it is still all around us. It is in the people we meet, our family, even the food that we prepare so hurriedly.

It was nice to experience and celebrate the good days when it seems like only bad days have been following me around for so long. I hope everyone one of you has a day like that today, and that something in your life touches and heals you and makes you happy.

2 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger twistedsoda said...

your writing is heaven, it was like I was there in the sea with you!!!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Sounds like a wonderful getaway -- I'm envious! When I was in college my parents lived in Hawaii, so I would go there for my vacations and it was such a great escape. There's such an immediate fragrance in the humid air as soon as you get off the plane. I've never been to the Caribbean, but plan to get there some day! Thanks for your recent comments on my blog -- nice to find yours!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home