Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Poetry Thursday: The Journey

I felt this poem deep, it made me want to be better, stronger, braver. I don't recognize myself as the person in it, but I'd like to. I hope the next time I read it to feel a thrill of acknowledgement and familiarity.


The Journey
by: Mary Oliver
One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice-
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with it's stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do-
determined to save
the only life that you could save.

6 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Laini Taylor said...

I love Mary Oliver and that's a fantastic one! Thanks for stopping by my blog -- and glad I'm not the only one who admits to seeing silly movies!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Mardougrrl said...

I love this poem. I discovered Mary Oliver through these blogs and I am SO grateful! :)

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger twistedsoda said...

beautiful, just what I needed before going to work today. I love the title of your blog. My husband is obsessed with his garden of tomatoes...

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger megg said...

hi there -

it's nice to meet you! I have only very recently discovered mary Oliver too and am a complete fan. I just love her and this poem is one of my favorites too!

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Susannah said...

That's a wonderful poem - good choice! thanks for visiting my little blog the other day - i'll pop back soon and see how you're getting on... welcome!
Sx

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Yummyteece said...

OMG! Fern, this poem is So powerful! thank you so much for sharing!
oh, and i replied to your comment in my blog.... take a peek at the grape leaf reciepe. It's the best i can remember, as it's been a while since i made them. LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home