Sunday, May 07, 2006

Summertime





Do you ever notice that wonderful things always happen in the summer? I can't think of one fun, exciting thing that's happened in the last few years that hasn't taken place between the months of May-September. Even as a child, I longed for the carefree, ridiculously humid days of summer, that precious time when school would be out, and there was no more phys-ed, no more math tests. I was just alone with my books and television and friends. What a marvelous time to be a kid.

Even the Florida downpours are wonderful. Like every Floridian, in the summer I set my watch by the cleansing, exciting summer storms. The lightning violently flashing across the sky and me watching from my porch with a cup of tea, happy for the rain to wash away the worries of the day. Then later in the day, the light seems to crowd out the darkness, and despite the stuffy air you can breathe again. Just thinking about it makes me think of long, leisurely days with naps and smiles and strawberry shortcake.

This summer I can't wait to:

go canoeing

get caught in the rain

start an herb garden

watch ridiculously mindless blockbuster movies

watch too many soap operas

spend too much money on nail polish

blog

bake

drink fruit smoothies

paint something

browse in a bookstore without worrying about time

What are you looking forward to this summer? Do you have any favorite summer moments?
_______________________________________________


For a quick summertime strawberry shortcake try:
Layering slices of pound cake in a dish and topping with a layer of fresh strawberries, moisten with about 1/4 cup of orange juice. Add another layer of the cake followed by some more strawberries. Top with whipped cream :)



1 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Mardougrrl said...

I just want to sleep! ;) No, that's not entirely true. I want to write, and blog, and play in the park with Madam, and go to the beach, and read, and nap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home